Job Location: We are hiring for this position in Sherman Oaks, CA.
Pure Imagination Studios started in 2012 as a diversified entertainment company built by a team of creators who shared a true passion for storytelling. We thrive on imagination; everything we do is designed to bring a tangible experience to anything our clients, partners and we dare to imagine. We believe that pure imagination should be the fuel to our collective reality.
We are storytellers, dreamers, and creators of new worlds striving to design and develop the future of entertainment. Join our team today!
We are looking for a Matte Painting Artist to join our studio. The Matte Painting Artist creates whole or parts of environments that meet creative direction using live action elements, still photography, concept art, rendered CG elements and digitally painted elements. The Matte painting Artist will work closely with the Production Designer and VFX Supervisor.
- Create digital matte elements to augment and extend digital environments in the chosen style of a feature animation project
- Create digital matte elements which integrate seamlessly with lit and rendered elements from the Lighting Artists
- Set up 2D and/or 3D geometry in Maya or Nuke upon which to project painted textures
- Participate in discussions to determine where digital matte painting responsibilities begin within production shots/sequences
- 5+ years of experience as a Matte Painting Artist working on high-end feature film projects
- Expertise in Photoshop a must
- Experience setting up 2D/3D projection elements within Maya and/or Nuke
- Demonstrated experience at painting in a variety of non-photorealistic styles
- Experience at setting up and executing animated digital matte painting elements a plus
- A good understanding of the role camera lens selection plays in the finished look of digital matte elements
- A demonstrated expertise in calculating and applying correct perspective in the creation of digital matte elements
- Demonstrated proficiency in photography with an emphasis on composition, depth, lighting, and color a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Professional aptitude for time management in relation to bringing multiple priorities and tasks to completion within a set deadline
- Experience with ShotGrid (or equivalent asset/shot tracking system) a plus
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with Supervisors, Lighting and Compositing Artists, and Production Management throughout a project
- Link to Demo Reel/Portfolio showcasing 3D matte painting work done in recent years
Pure Imagination Studios is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
Salary: $70,000-$90,000+ annually