Job Location: Sherman Oaks, Los Angeles, CA
Pure Imagination Studios started in 2012 as a diversified entertainment company built by a team of creators who shared a true passion for storytelling. We thrive on imagination, and everything we do is set to bring a tangible experience to anything our clients, partners and even ourselves, are able to imagine. We believe that pure imagination should be the fuel to our reality.
We are storytellers, dreamers, and creators of new worlds- striving to develop the future of entertainment. Join our team!
Overview and Responsibilities
Pure Imagination Studios is in search of a look development artist to achieve all the technical and aesthetic aspects required to help define the look of a new TV series being produced in Unity. The Unity Look Development and Technical Artist will be using Unity and help guide our team of global artists.
- This role will be responsible for designing, developing and maintaining assets for episodic TV production while balancing visual fidelity with overall performance. However, this is NOT a real-time show or game and visual fidelity takes priority over performance.
- The look development artist is responsible for spearheading processes and procedures for the lighting team so they can execute against the desired look and feel for the project as dictated by the style guide and guidance of the Supervising Director and Art Director.
- Participate in weekly and daily meetings – sometimes early morning or late evening with our global offices.
- Mentor and lead both teams in Los Angeles and globally through a ONE IS ALL approach. Assist individual artists in a friendly manner to help raise the overall capability of the TEAM.
- Effectively communicate with all team members – whether lateral, subordinate or above.
- Engage with R&D and tools teams when necessary.
- Works with lighting staff and tech artist to ensure that shaders content meets performance standards.
- BFA or MFA preferred and a strong portfolio of work that clearly demonstrates look development work.
- At least 9+ years’ experience in similar positions within the gaming or film & TV animation industry.
- A strong understanding of shading principles, materials and the overall material relationship to light in a PBR pipeline.
- Strong understanding of lighting/rendering technologies (pre-render and real-time rendering, Global Illumination, Ray-Tracing, HDR, Photon Mapping, etc).
- Experience in Unity is a MUST.
- Experience as a texture painter.
- Strong understanding of Photoshop and/or 2D packages. Experience with Substance painter and substance designer is a plus.
- Has a deep knowledge of shader development using Unity.
- Has a great eye and passion for his/her craft
- Always looking to improve workflows and visual fidelity
- Is a team player and patient with artists.
- Ability to adapt rapidly to new or changing technology with an interest in finding ways to evolve and improve the environment art creation pipeline.
- Solid organization skills with adherence to file structures, naming conventions and other established protocols.
- Excellent ability to self-manage and accurately predict and adhere to task length estimates and deadlines.
- Must be an excellent collaborator with a willingness to provide/accept direction and the ability to embrace change.
- Ability to clearly articulate ideas both written and verbally.
- A portfolio demonstrating real time and pre-rendered lighting samples is required. Traditional and/or digital paintings demonstrating an ability to create compelling and dramatic scenes is a plus.
Nice to Have
- Experience working with external vendors and partners in different geographies (India, Philippines, Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, etc)
Pure Imagination Studios is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).