Job Location: We are hiring for this position in Rochester, NY (in office or remote).
Pure Imagination Studios started in 2012 as a diversified entertainment company built by a team of creators who shared a true passion for storytelling. We thrive on imagination; everything we do is designed to bring a tangible experience to anything our clients, partners and we dare to imagine. We believe that pure imagination should be the fuel to our collective reality.
We are storytellers, dreamers, and creators of new worlds striving to design and develop the future of entertainment. Join our team today!
We are looking for a Lead Lighter to join our studio. The Lead Lighter is responsible for interpreting and translating 2D artwork into a 3D lighting design which evokes the requisite mood and emotion for a sequence. The Lead Lighter will work closely with the Production Designer and VFX Supervisor.
- Responsible for designing and implementing character and environment lighting rigs which satisfy the project’s artistic goals and taking the assigned the key shot(s) in a sequence to completion
- Propagating the light rig(s) to the production shots and evaluating the effectiveness
- Determining the most efficient lighting vs. compositing balance for shots within a sequence
- Creating a sequence compositing template as required and understanding and maintaining the project’s visual standards
- Assisting the production lighters implement the light rig(s) into their production shots
- Establish lighting techniques that maximize efficiency while still meeting, or exceeding, visual standards
- Provide technical support and mentorship for the production lighting team
- Lead by example and fostering good work habits in the department
- Troubleshooting creative and technical issues as they arise
- Creating documenting any lighting tools, scripts, or processes
- Presenting and explaining the sequence rigs to production lighters before they start
- Ability to collaborate and communicate with other departments for timely integration of elements into a sequence
- Helping to texture and look development artists create balanced, ready-to-light assets when necessary
- Attend dailies for the sequence and helping production lighters interpret and implement notes
- Inform VFX Supervisor of any sequence issues as soon as they become known
- Help assign production shots to Lighting Artists and production bid the work associated with lighting a sequence
- Participating the testing of new technologies as required
- 3+ years of experience as a Lead Lighting Artist or 7+ years of experience working as a Lighting Artist (including recent work as a senior-level Lighting Artist) on high-end feature animation film projects
- Have a thorough understanding of how light, shadow, color, and contrast impact the story-telling process
- Knowledge of global illumination principles and techniques
- Task-driven, self-motivated, proactive, and open to direction
- Demonstrated ability to focus on the necessary details in finishing assets and shots
- Experience with cross-site/cross-studio workflow and a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate across time zones
- Advanced-level knowledge of a high-end 3D Lighting and rendering package (Maya, Houdini, Katana, Unity, Unreal Engine, etc.)
- Experience with a high-end compositing software (Nuke), ShotGrid (or equivalent asset/shot tracking system)
- Willingness and ability to mentor and train Lighting Artists
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with Supervisors, Technical Directors and Production Management throughout a project
- Experience with either the Unity or Unreal Engine game packages a significant plus
- Knowledge of a scripting language (Python, Mel, etc.) is considered a plus
- Experience in lighting pipeline development planning and testing a big plus
- Link to Demo Reel/Portfolio showcasing 3D lighting work done in recent years
Pure Imagination Studios is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).