Job Location: We are hiring for this position in Rochester, NY (in office or remote).
Pure Imagination Labs is seeking an experienced full-stack developer to lead the development of a unique software platform supporting the next generation of immersive entertainment, encompassing a range of high-throughput, multiplayer, location-based VR experiences, along with various experiential technologies.
Pure Imagination Studios started in 2012 as a diversified entertainment company built by a team of creators who shared a true passion for storytelling. We thrive on imagination, and everything we do is set to bring a tangible experience to anything our clients, partners and even ourselves, are able to imagine. We believe that pure imagination should be the fuel to our reality.
We are storytellers, dreamers, and creators of new worlds- striving to develop the future of entertainment. Join our team!
Senior Software Engineer will work with stakeholders and a small development team to fully understand the requirements and implement the functionality and features inherent in operating location-based VR games/experiences in out-of-home venues, and will help design and build upon current systems and services required to support those goals, including: deployment of builds; provisioning, monitoring, and control of hardware; tracking of players and management of game sessions; analytics of throughput, performance, and player behavior; and tools for everyday operations and diagnostics by on-site staff. Where these systems are designed to manage and control the company’s game projects, the candidate will also be responsible for creating client libraries for use by the game development team, requiring some level of integration with game engine framework.
An existing set of microservices forms the foundational structure of this software platform, but the role offers a great deal of discretion and creativity in defining the future direction of this modular technology. In terms of day-to-day responsibilities, the role more heavily emphasizes back-end development, but competency and comfort with front-end development is still expected, along with close interaction and support of front-end developers. The ideal candidate would also help recognize and propose expanded opportunities for modular development paths, and even assist in securing and managing additional development talent in the execution of short and long-term development projects. Due to the small size of the team and high level of responsibility, the candidate’s comfort with and high-regard for excellent documentation is important, as is their ability to periodically train relevant team members on the integration and use of the technologies being developed.
- 7-10+ years related experience.
- Experience designing APIs (REST, pub/sub) and developing web micro services with Node.js.
- Understanding of relational database design as well as expertise with non-relational databases such as MongoDB and Redis.
- Familiarity with serialization formats such as JSON, and expertise with messaging systems such as RabbitMQ
- Understanding of low-level network transport layers; i.e. ability to write basic UDP/TCP socket code without fear of the unknown. Understanding of the network IP addresses, network mask, ports and network layers stack.
- Familiarity with version control systems such as Git
- High-level of competency in C++, with a solid understanding of idiomatic approaches to memory management and concurrency; ideally, experience developing C++ libraries.
- Good knowledge of C#.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills are critical, along with the will to mentor other developers.
- Experience with Linux, Raspberry PI and DIY projects is a big plus. Ability and knowledge of connecting software with the hardware is a plus.
- Game or simulation development experience
- Specific experience with or interest in the Oculus SDK, SteamVR, OpenXR, OpenVR, and/or other Virtual Reality tools, SDKs, and APIs.
- Experience with Docker; ideally, experience deploying containerized, microservice-based applications in a production setting.
- Experience with Perforce is a plus as well as build related automation tools like Jenkins
Pure Imagination Studios is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).